Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Big Day

It’s official, I am going to Rome. I just finished packing, which was one of the most difficult and frustrating tasks I had to do in awhile. The hardest part about packing was the simple fact that I needed to get everything that I need for 4 months in one suitcase and one checked bag. It only took my five attempts at packing to get my suitcase under the 50lb weight requirement. Most of the clothes that I have packed are all things that I am able to wear throughout different seasons. When I arrive in Rome the temperature will be in the high 80’s, but by the time I leave the temperature will be around mid 40’s. So I had to make sure everything that I was packing had some ability to be layered.
                Another difficulty that this adventure has brought to my attention is the idea of flying into a foreign airport. I’m not real sure what I was thinking, but until I finished packing I never realized that I would be arriving in a foreign airport, of which I do not speak the language. I am completely scared out of mind to have to navigate through a foreign airport. I have never been somewhere, where no will be able to understand me. Throughout the summer I have sporadically studied and practiced Italian, but not to the extent that I am capable of communicate sufficiently. On the up side I have 17hrs worth of travel time to practice but more than likely I will be sleeping.
                Today my flight leaves at 10:30am from Pittsburgh, from there I fly to Charlotte, N.C. I remain in Charlotte for the next 6.5hrs, and then I board my last flight, which will be a 9hr flight. I arrive in Rome on Aug 31st around 9am.
                I still can’t believe that I am going to Rome! For the past 150 days I have been day dreaming about being in Rome, but never really thought the day would come. This trip, is something that I never really thought would happen! I just can’t wait to be in Rome and experience a completely different culture.
                Although, I am outrageously exciting about going, I still am very sad that I have to say goodbye to my family and friends. I will miss you all so much and I love you all tons. Bacon I wish I could have brought you!
               
               

No comments:

Post a Comment