Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Adventures Part 1

(Week 1) I arrived in Rome yesterday at 9am, which was where we stayed until other AUR students arrived. The hardest part thus far was enduring that 9hrs flight seemed like years. Yesterday was pretty tough; I didn’t sleep on the plane at all and then walked around Rome. Well to be honest I wasn’t walking around Rome for fun, my roommates and I were lost!!!! REALLY LOST!!! The upside that came out of our blinded adventure was we discovered that the mass majority of Italians in this area speak English.  On top of English speaking Italians, a lot of signs and billboards are in English as well. It’s crazy to see how Americanized different places are. I never really thought America was an extraordinarily influential country until now. Once we found our way home I went into the sauna I call my room and passed out.
Side Note: The mosquitoes are crazy intense here!
I’m really glad I didn’t take a nap yesterday because with the 6 hour time difference I knew I wouldn’t have been able to adjust quickly if I would have taken a nap. Thus far today I slept in til noon, I was outrageously exhausted. Since I didn’t nap at all yesterday, I was able to adjust to the time zone change well, but I still never know what time it is. Then I went to campus to complete my paper work for my permit to stay, which won’t be 100% finished until I meet with the police for verification. I found this really fun café yesterday; this little Old Italian man owns it. This name speaks no English, but despite the communication barrier he always knows what you want. Gli Archi Café, I believe is the name of the café and it will more than likely one of my favorite places to eat.
As for those people who once told me that Italian men are very vocal, I have yet to experience the attention to the extent that I have been told. Thus far, everyone has been very respectful and nice. I’m sure that has a major part of my roommates and I all look American, but regardless the reason I appreciate it.
The high light of today was the Rome walking tour I did today, after I finished up all the needed paper work in order to stay and got my student ID. We crossed the bridge and went into the more "Roman" side of Rome, this was where the Colosseum, the first forum, the cat sanctuary, Mussolini's balcony,  night clubs, great shopping, and restaurants.
If there is anything you would like to know please feel free to ask!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment